Sunday, December 23, 2012

Peace On Earth

Tis Christmas Eve Eve, December 23rd and all through the house, there is the sound of last minute gifts being wrapped and gift tags secured.

There is something this holiday season that has managed to recapture child like appreciate in me and that is the Christmas card.  Holiday greetings, Christmas cards, call them what you will, in this digital age when we seldom put a stamp on anything anymore, receiving a real Christmas card has become special.



It seemed not very long ago, I took delight in selecting an online Ecard for the holidays and within a couple of minutes, it was attached to various email address and sent on it's way.  Not alot of thought went into that effort yet it was all the rage and the trendy thing to do.  After all, there was so much to do and I was busy with holiday details.

As with new and improved ways of doing things, we often have a chance to remember the old way of doing something as simple as wishing those we love and care about a happy holiday season.

This year I purchased a box of Christmas cards, took pen in hand and crafted each wish for designated recipients. I took my time, wrote out thank yous for acts of kindness and my wishes for a Merry Christmas.  Yes, by the 24th card, my writing was a little less festive but when I noticed fatigue, I simply slowed down and took my time.  It was not a race to finish these cards.  It was not a task that I wanted of which to be rid.  So, I steadied my hand, slowed my breathing and took a few moments to think as I wrote.

In the hustle and bustle of this time of year, we really have to make an effort to slow down, to savor moments and to keep that meaningful pace.  To hurry along as if we needed more hours in a day is to miss that cozy feeling we all longed for this time of year.  We waited an entire year for this magical season.  The warmth of lights and the beautiful colors.  Music that can make your feet dance or make your soul weep.  We waited and waited.  So don't hurry the days.  Don't hurry the cards and don't forget to look at each of them.  Read their words and let them be a part of the holiday landscape.  They have been a constant and the world needs more constants.

To each of you, I wish you Peace and .....


                                                                          Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment